Focke Wulf FW190 Model World War Two Aircraft From Franklin Mint
Part Number: B11B586
Availability: Available Now
Approximately 7” (17.8 cm) in length; 8” (20.3 cm) wingspan. Scale 1:48
Focke Wulf FW190 Model World War Two Aircraft - Description
The ace who flew this plane had 68 victories.
He was Fritz Losigkeit and he flew the FW 190 FOCKE-WULF – widely considered the greatest German fighter of World War II.
Far superior to the legendary British Spitfire, this plane made low-level sweeps over southern England in daylight with impunity.
Now every detail is captured in a hand-painted die-cast model!
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was a single-seat, single-engine fighter aircraft of the Luftwaffe, and one of the best fighters of its generation. Used extensively during WW II, over 20,000 were manufactured, including around 6,000 fighter-bomber models with production beginning in 1941.
In the spring of 1938 the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM) asked various designers for a new fighter to fight alongside the Messerschmitt Bf 109, Germany's top of the line fighter. Although the Bf 109 was at that point an extremely competitive fighter, the RLM was worried that future developments might outclass it, and wanted to have new aircraft under development just in case.
Kurt Tank responded with two similar designs, both featuring a simple fuselage and differing primarily in the powerplant. One used the Daimler-Benz DB 601 that was also used on the Bf 109, and the second used the air-cooled 18-cylinder BMW 139 radial engine. At the time the radial was frowned on in Europe because of its large frontal area, which was believed to cause too much drag to allow for a competitive design. Tank was not convinced of this, having witnessed the success of the Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engines utilized by the US Navy, and designed a highly streamlined mounting for the engine. Instead of leaving the front of the engine "open" to allow cooling air to flow over the cylinders, Tank instead used a very small opening between the engine cowling and an oversized propeller spinner to supply air, blowing it over the engine with a fan.
Much to everyone's surprise, the radial-engined version was accepted for prototype development. An overriding factor in the decision was the serious problems Daimler was having producing enough engines even for existing designs. Tank's design might not offer the same performance as it would with an inline engine, but at least it would not put any pressure on the already fragile engine supply. However, the 139 ran into a series of problems and BMW eventually decided to simply abandon it and start over. The result was the BMW 801, the much larger number being assigned after BMW and Bramo merged.
The first prototype, the Fw 190 V1, with civil registration D-OPZE, was flown on June 1, 1939 and soon proved to have good qualities for such a comparatively small aircraft, providing excellent handling, good visibility and promising speed (initially around 610 km/h (380 mph)). The roll rate was 162 degrees at 410 km/h (255 mph) but the aircraft had a high stall speed of 205 km/h (127 mph). Its wide landing gear made it a more versatile aircraft than the Bf 109 and a safer one.
Problems with a far-forward cockpit location, directly behind the engine, resulted in a cockpit that became too hot for comfort. This shortcoming was corrected in later V-series prototypes before the A-0 production prototypes were built. Examples of the A-0 series were delivered to front-line squadrons in late 1940, but the aircraft did not reach combat units in any numbers until August and September 1941. Engine reliability issues (overheating was the primary concern) seen in the prototypes continued to plague the Fw 190 until the spring of 1942 and the release of the BMW 801 C-2 engine in the Fw 190 A-2.
For the first few months of the Fw 190's combat career, the Allies, being entirely unaware of the new fighter confused the Fw 190 as a "Curtiss P-36 Mohawks captured from the French". They were soon disabused of this idea when the British acquired an intact Fw 190 A-3 in late June of 1942 (when Luftwaffe pilot Armin Faber landed on a British airfield by mistake). Taking advantage of this error, the RAF was quick to study the aircraft to discover its technical secrets. The British found the Fw 190 able to outclass, in some categories by a considerable margin, the then top of the line Spitfire Mk. V.
Fw 190 A
There were nine distinct sub-variants of the original Fw 190 A.
The Fw 190 A-1 first rolled off the assembly lines in June of 1941. The first few models were shipped to the Erprobungsstaffel (formerly from II./JG 26 Schlageter) for further testing. Following testing the Fw 190 A-1s entered service with II./JG 26 stationed outside of Paris, France. The A-1 was equipped with the BMW 801C-1 engine, rated at 1,560 hp (1,160 kW). Armament consisted of 2 fuselage mounted MG 17s, 2 wing root mounted MG 17s and two outboard wing mounted MG FF/Ms. For the most part the MG 17s were thought to be almost useless in what was then modern air combat, and therefore gained the nickname rattles. There were 102 Fw 190 A-1s built between June and August of 1941. The A-1 models still suffered from the overheating that prototype Fw 190s suffered from in testing. Many of these early engines reached only 30-40 hours of use (sometimes less) and had to be replaced soon after.
The first Fw 190 A-2s were assembled in August of 1941. Equipped with the BMW 801 C-2, producing 1,600 hp (1,190 kW), the new engine finally resolved most of the overheating issues. The addition of new ventilation slots on the side of the fuselage aided cooling further. The A-2 wing weaponry was updated, with the two wing root mounted MG 17s being replaced by 20 mm MG 151/20E cannons. With the introduction of the new cannons, the Revi C12/C gun sight was upgraded to the new C12/D model. Some A-2s were also outfitted with the ETC-501 bomb rack. Another major change switched the hydraulic landing gear to electric actuation, as issues had been reported in combat units with the A-1 gear. The introduction of the A-2 to the air in Europe signaled the shift of air supremacy from the British and the Spitfire Mk. V to the Germans. Due to similarities with the A-3, most build numbers of the A-2 include the A-3 model. About 910 A2 and A-3s were built between October of 1941 and August of 1942.
Production of the Fw 190 A-3s started in the spring of 1942. The A-3 model was equipped with the BMW 801D-2 engine, which increased power to 1,700 hp (1,270 kW) by raising the compression ratio and increasing the power of the compressor. Due to these changes the A-3 model required a higher octane fuel – 100 (C3) versus 87 (B4). The A-3 retained the same weaponry as the A-2. Soon after entering service on the Eastern Front, the A-3 soon the air over Russia. The A-3 also introduced the Umrüst-Bausätze – factory conversion sets. The U1 featured an ETC-501 bomb rack with the removal of the MG FFs in the outer wings. The U2 added RZ 73 mm rocket launchers inside the wing, with three launchers per wing. The U3 introduced the Jabo (Jagdbomber) to the Fw 190 world, adding an ETC-501 center line bomb rack and one SC-50 bomb under each wing. The U3 retained the fuselage mounted MG 17s and the MG 151 wing cannons. The U4 was a reconnaissance version with two Rb 12.5 cameras in the rear fuselage with armament similar to the U3, however the ETC-501 was typically fitted with a 300 l drop tank. There were also a small number of U7 aircraft tested as high altitude fighters armed with only two MG 151 cannons, but a reduced overall weight. See the A-2 model for build numbers.
Introduced in June of 1942, the Fw 190 A-4 was equipped with the same engine and basic armament as the A-3. It was, however, equipped with updated radio gear, and in some instances pilot-controllable engine cooling vents. The A-4's main improvement was the number of Umrüst-Bausätze versions. The U1 was outfitted with under wing bomb racks and the removal of all armament with the exception of the MG 151 cannons. The U3 was designed as a Jabo, fitted with under wing ETC-501 racks, which could be fitted with either SC-250 bombs or 300 l drop tanks. The U3 also was deployed in night missions having some slight modification such as exhaust suppressors and landing lights. The U3 served as the basis of the Fw 190 F-1 assault fighter. The U4 was a reconnaissance fighter, with two Rb 12.4 cameras in the rear fuselage and a EK16 or Robot II gun camera. The U4 was equipped with the fuselage mounted MG 17s and MG 151 cannons. The U7 was a high altitude fighter, easily identified by the compressor air intakes on either side of the cowling. Galland himself flew a U7 in the spring of 1943. The U8 introduced the Jabo-Rei to the Fw 190 world, adding a 300 l drop tank on the centerline and two SC 50 bombs under each wing. The MG FF/M cannons were sometimes removed which allowed the addition of two SC-250 mounted on each side of wing mounted drop tanks. The U8 served as the basis of the Fw 190 G. Some A-4s were outfitted with underwing WGr 21 rocket mortars, these were designated Fw 190 A-4/R6. A total of 976 A-4s were built between June of 1942 and March of 1943.
The Fw 190 A-5 was developed as it was found that the Fw 190 could easily carry more ordnance. The nose was lengthened by 15 cm, and the A5 was equipped with the BMW 801D-2 engine, rated at 1,700 hp (1,270 kW). New radio gear, including IFF (via the FuG 25a) and the newly invented electronic artificial horizon found their way into the A-5. The A-5 retained the same basic armament as the A-4. The A-5 too, saw several Umrüst-Bausätze kits. The U2 was designed as a night Jabo-Rei and featured anti-reflective fittings and exhaust flame dampeners. A center line ETC-501 rack typically held a250 kg bomb, and wing mounted racks mounted 300 l drop tanks. A EK16 gun camera, as well as landing lights, were fitted to the leading edge of the wing. The U2 was armed only by two MG 151 cannons. The U3 was a Jabo fighter fitted with ETC-501s for drop tanks and bombs; it too featured only two MG 151 for armament. The U4 was a recon fighter with two Rb 12.5 cameras and all armament on the base A-5 with the exception of the MG FF cannons. The U8 was another Jabo-Rei outfitted with SC-250 centerline mounted bombs, under wing 300 l drop tanks and only two MG 151s, the U8 later became the Fw 190 G-2. A special U12 was created to fight American and British bombers, and was outfitted with two 20 mm cannons, two 30 mm cannons and two 13 mm machine guns. Other A-5 versions featured wing mounted cannon and machine gun pods such as the WB 151/20 pod. There were 1,752 A-5s built from November of 1942 to June of 1943.
The Fw 190 A-6 was developed to fix the shortcomings found in previous A models when fighting US heavy bombers. The normal armament was increased to two MG 17 machine guns and four MG 151/20E cannons. It is believed the MG 17s were kept because their tracer rounds served as a targeting aid for the pilots. New armor plates were added to the canopy in order to fit the new canopy fittings, as well as a new FuG 16ZE radio navigation system. The A-6 was outfitted in numerous ways with various Rüstsätze (field modification kits) sets, including a 30 mm thick transparent armor plates added to the canopy and windshield to better protect the pilots from tail gunners of the heavy bombers. About 1,055 A-6s were built between May of 1943 and March of 1944.
The Fw 190 A-7 was based on the Fw 190 A-5/U9, and entered production in November of 1943. The A-7 was equipped with the BMW 801 D-2 engine, again producing 1,700 hp (1,270 kW). The basic armament was finally updated to include two fuselage mounted MG 131, two wing root mounted MG 151s and two outer wing mounted MG 151s. The Revi gun sight was updated to the new 16B model. The addition weight of the new weapon systems required the updating of the wheels to a reinforced rim to better deal with typical combat field conditions. The A-7 was typically outfitted with the centerline mounted ETC-501 rack. There were several major Rüstsätze for the A-7 many including WGr 21 rockets. 701 A-7s were produced from November of 1943 to April of 1944 to move assembly lines to the A8.
The Fw 190 A-8 entered production in February of 1944. The A8 model introduced the MW-50 supercharger that was to have been deployed in the A-4 model, but was not available in quantities at that time. The MW-50 introduced a methanol/water mix injector to boost horsepower in the BMW 801D-2 engines. The A-8 was equipped with a new wooden propeller easily identified by its wide paddle-shaped blades, and a new canopy design similar to the “bubble” canopies in widespread use by the Allied air forces. Nearly a dozen Rüstsätze kits available for the A8, including the famous A8/R2 and A8/R8 models which were outfitted with heavy armor including 30 mm canopy and windscreen armor, 5 mm cockpit armor and upgraded outer wing cannons to the MK 108 30 mm cannon that could destroy most heavy bombers with two or three hits. Over 6,550 A-8 airframes were produced, with at least 8 factories turning out the fighter.
The Fw 190 A-9 was the last A- model produced, and was first built in September of 1944. The A-9 was fitted with the new BMW 801S (called the 801TS when shipped as an “egg”) engine, rated at 2,000 hp (1,490 kW); the more powerful 2,400 hp (1,790 kW) BMW 801F was not available. Cowl mounted armor was upgraded from the 6 mm on earlier models to 10 mm. The A-9 was very similar to the A-8 in most other aspects, including the armament and Rüstsätze kits. 910 A-9s were built between April of 1944 and May of 1945.
In total about 13,291 Fw 190As were produced in all variants.
Fw 190 D 'Dora'
The Fw 190 D-9 was a greatly improved version featuring, despite the appearance, an in-line engine. It was considered a match for the best Allied fighters of the time. The Fw 190 D (nicknamed the Dora-9 Dora-Neun or Long-Nose Dora Langnasen-Dora) was introduced for one primary reason: high altitude performance. While previous versions of the Fw 190 were very effective at low and medium altitudes, they lacked performance at the altitudes the American heavy bombers such as the B-17 operated and fighters such as the P-51, P-47, P-38 and Spitfire prowled.
Two previous Fw 190 development platforms attempted to solve these performance issues. Both the Fw 190 B and C airframe series were developed to tackle this issue, and all attempts to do so had failed for various reasons, including and not limited to high performance superchargers and turbo systems, reliable cockpit pressurization systems, poor material availability and the war demand itself.
The Fw 190 D began development in 1942 at the same time as the B and C attempts. However, Kurt Tank saw a need for the move to an inline engine solution starting in 1941 when the Spitfire and soon the P-51 Mustang began flying over Western Europe. Tank knew the move to an inline engine could help the Fw 190 in its altitude performance.
In October of 1942 the first mockup Fw 190 D was built with a Jumo 213 A engine installed in the nose. Tank had always preferred the DB 600 series engines, especially the DB 603, but they were in short supply due to the Bf 109 and Bf 110's needs; thus Tank had to make do with what was available, which was the then-new, Jumo 213. The liquid-cooled 1,725 hp (1,287 kW) Jumo 213 A could produce 2,020 hp (1,508 kW) of emergency power with MW-50 injection.
As with the B and C variants, attempts to pressurize the cockpit failed, and resulted in the Fw 190 D undergoing some rather major redesigns, which cancelled both the D-1 and D-2 models.
The first Dora to make it into volume production was the unpressurized D-9 model.
Due to the multiple attempts to create an efficient next generation 190, as well as the comments of some Luftwaffe pilots, a very negative view of the Dora project was created. These impressions were not helped by the fact that Tank made it very clear that he intended the D-9 to be a stop-gap until the Ta 152 arrived. These negative opinions existed for some time until pilot feedback began arriving at FW and the Luftwaffe command structure.
In order to fit the new engine in the Fw 190 fuselage while maintaining proper balance and weight distribution, both the nose and the tail of the aircraft were lengthened, adding nearly 1.52 meters to the fuselage, bringing the overall length to 10.192 meters versus the 9.10 meters of the late war A-9 series. Furthermore, the move to an inline engine required more components to be factored into the design, most significantly the need for coolant radiators (the radial engines were air-cooled). To keep the design as simple and as aerodynamic as possible, Tank used an annular radiator (i.e. the radiator was shaped like a doughnut instead of the usual rectangle) installed at the front of the engine, which often gave the appearance that the D-9 was still a radial engine-powered aircraft.
As it was used in the anti-fighter role, armament in the 'D' was generally lighter compared to that of the earlier aircraft - usually the outer wing cannon were dropped so that the armament consisted of two 13 mm MG 131 machine guns and two 20 mm MG151/20E wing root cannon. What little it lost in roll rate, it gained in turn rate, climb, dive and horizontal speed. However, the Dora still featured the same wing as the A-8 and, as demonstrated by the D-11 and D-13 variants, was capable of carrying outer wing cannons as well.
As stated before pilots worried that the new Fw 190 would be a clumsy mix-and-match patchwork of designs and equipment. However, when they first flew the Dora-9 they were amazed, and all the back-room negativity quickly became a thing of the past. Sporting excellent handling and performance characteristics, it became very clear that the Dora-9 was nearly the perfect response to the Luftwaffe's need for a high altitude, high speed interceptor. When well-operated, the Fw 190 D proved to be a match for P-51s and Mk. XIV Spitfires. In most World War II pilot circles, the Dora-9 and its sister ship the Ta-152, were the pinnacle of German prop-driven aircraft.
Some Fw 190D served as fighter cover for Me 262 airfields as the jet fighters had been very vulnerable on take-off and landing operations. These special units are known as "Platzsicherungstaffel" They had the entire aircraft underside painted in red/white or sometimes black/white stripes. This unique color scheme served to help anti-aircraft artillery protecting the airfields identify friendly aircraft and gave the squadrons the nickname "Papageienstaffel" (parrot squadron). The best known of these covering squadrons was the one guarding the airfield of JV 44, operational late in the war from about March 1945 to May 1945.
While nearly all variants of the Fw 190 could carry bombs and other air to ground ordnance, there were two dedicated attack versions of the Fw 190. The Luftwaffe was looking for aircraft to replace the Hs 123 biplane, which were seriously overmatched in 1942, as well as the slow and heavy Ju 87. Two versions of the Fw 190 rose to the occasion to supply what the Luftwaffe and RLM were looking for.
Fw 190 F
The Fw 190 F was started as a Fw 190 A-0/U4. Early testing started in May of 1942. This A-0 was outfitted with centerline and wing mounted ETC-50 bomb racks. The early testing was quite good, and Focke-Wulf began engineering the attack version of the Fw 190. New armor was added to the bottom of the fuselage protecting the fuel tanks and pilot, the engine cowling, and the landing gear mechanisms and outer wing mounted armament. Finally the Umrüst-Bausatze kit 3 was fitted to the plane by means of a ETC-501 or ER4 centerline mounted bomb rack and up to a SC250 bomb under each wing. This aircraft was designated the Fw 190 F-1. The first 30 Fw 190 F-1's were converted Fw 190 A-4/U3s, however Focke-Wulf quickly began assembling the planes on the line as Fw 190 F-1's as their own model. The Fw 190 F-2's were converted Fw 190 A-5/U3's, which again were soon assembled as Fw 190 F-2s not refitted A-5's. There were about 270 Fw 190 F-2's built.
The Fw 190 F-3 was based on the Fw 190 A-5/U17, which was outfitted with a centerline mounted ETC-501 bomb rack, and two double ETC-50 bomb racks under each wing. 432 Fw 190 F-3's were built.
Due to issues creating an effective strafing Fw 190 F that was able to take out the Russian T-34 tank, the F-4 through F-7 models were abandoned, and all attempts focused on conversion of the Fw 190 A-8.
The Fw 190 F-8 differed from the A-8 model with a slightly modified injector on the compressor which allowed for increased performance at lower altitudes for several minutes. The F-8 was also outfitted with the improved FuG 16ZS radio unit which allowed for much better communications with the ground combat units. Armament on the Fw 190 F-8 was two MG 151/20 20 mm cannon in the wing roots and two MG 131 machine guns above the engine. At least 3,400 F-8 had been built, probably several hundreds more in December 1944 and from February to May 1945.
Dozens of F-8s served as various test beds for anti tank armament, including the WGr.28 280 mm ground to ground missile, 88 mm Panzerschreck 2 rockets, Panzerblitz 1 and R4M rockets.
There were also several Umrüst-Bausätze kits developed for the F-8 which included:
The U1 long range Jabo, outfitted with underwing V.Mtt-Schloβ shackles to hold two 300 l fuel tanks. ETC-503 bomb racks were also fitted, allowing the Fw 190 F-8/U1 to carry one SC250 bomb under each wing and two SC250 bombs on the centerline.
The U2 torpedo bomber, outfitted with an ETC-503 bomb rack under each wing and a center line mounted ETC-504. The U2 was also equipped with the TSA 2A weapons sighing system which gave the U2 improved ability when attacking sea borne targets.
The U3 heavy torpedo bomber, outfitted with an ETC-502 which allowed the U3 to carry one BT-1400 heavy torpedo. Due to the size of the torpedo, the U3's tail gear needed to be legthened. The U3 also was fitted with the BMW 801S 2000 hp engine, and the tail from the Ta-152.
The U4, created as a night fighter, as it was equipped with flame dampers on the exhaust and various electrical systems such as the FuG 101 radio altimeter, the PKS 12 automatic pilot, and the TSA 2A sighting system. Weapons fitted ranged from torpedoes to bombs, however the U4 was outfitted only with two MG 151/20 cannons as fixed armament.
The Fw 190 F-9 was based on the Fw 190 A-9 but with the new Ta-152 tail unit, a new bulged canopy as fitted to late build A-9s, and four ETC-50 or ETC-70 bomb racks under the wings. 147 F-9 had been built in January 1945, probably several hundreds more in December 1944 and from February to May 1945.
Fw 190 G
The Fw 190 G was built as a long range attack aircraft (Jabo-Rei, or Jagdbomber mit vergrösserter Reichweite). Following the success of the Fw 190 F as a Schlachtflugzeug (close support aircraft), both the Luftwaffe and Focke-Wulf began investigating ways of extending the range of the Fw 190 F. From these needs and tests the Fw 190 G was born.
There were four distinct versions of the Fw 190 G:
The Fw 190 G-1: The first Fw 190Gs were based off of the Fw 190 A-4/U8 jabo-rei's. Initial testing found that if all but two wing root mounted MG151 cannons (with reduced ammo load) were removed, the Fw 190 G-1 as it was now called, could carry a 250 kg or 500 kg bomb on the center line and, via an ETC 250 rack, up to a 250 kg bomb under each wing. Typically the G-1s flew with underwing fuel tanks, fitted via the VTr-Ju 87 rack. The FuG 25a IFF (identification friend/foe) was outfitted on occasion as well as one of the various radio direction finders available at the time. With the removal of the fuselage mounted MG 17s, an addional oil tank was added to support the BMW 801 D-2 engine's longer run times.
The Fw 190 G-2: The G-2 was based off of the Fw 190A-5/U8 aircraft. The G-2's were equipped similar to the G-1s, however due to wartime conditions, the underwing drop tank racks were replaced with the much simpler V.Mtt-Schloß fittings, to allow for a number of underwing configurations. Some G-2s were also fitted with the additional oil tank in place of the MG 17s, however not all were outfitted with the oil tank. Some G-2s were fitted with exhaust dampers and landing lights in the left wing leading edge for night operations.
The Fw 190 G-3: The G-3 was based off the Fw 190 A-6. Like the earlier G models, all but the two wing root mounted MG 151 cannons were removed. The new V.Fw. Trg bombracks however, allowed the G-3 to simultaniously carry fuel tanks and bomb loads. Because of the flight capabilities added by two additional fuel tanks, the G-3s duration increased to 2 hours 30 minutes. Due to this extra flight duration a PKS 11 autopilot was fitted. Some G-3s built in late 1943 were also fitted with the a modified 801 D-2 engine which allowed for increased low-altitude performance for short periods of time. The G-3 had two primary Rüstsätze kits. The R1 replaced the V.Fw. Trg racks with WB 151/20 cannon pods. This gave the G-3/R1 a total of 6 20 mm cannons. When fitted with the R1 kit, the G model's addition armor was typically not used, and the PKS11 removed. The G-3/R1 was used in both ground strafing and anti-bomber roles. The R5 was similar to the R1, but the V.Fw. Trg racks were removed, and two ETC 50 racks per wing were added. As with the R1, the additional armor from the base G model were removed, as was the additional oil tank. In some instances the fuselage mounted MG 17s were refitted.
The Fw 190 G-8: The G-8 was based off of the FW 190A-8. The G-8 used the same "bubble" canopy of the F-8, and was fitted with under wing ETC 503 racks that could carry either bombs or drop tanks. Two primary Rüstsätze kits were also seen on the F-8. The R4, which was a planned refit for the GM1 engine boost system, but never made it into production, and the R5 which replaced the ETC 503's with two ETC 50 or 71 racks. Due to the similarities with the F-8, the G-8 was only in production for a short amount of time.
Some Gs were field modified to carry 1000 kg, 1600 kg and 1800 kg bombs. When this was done the landing gear was slightly improved by enhancing the oleo struts and using reinforced tires.
Approximately 800 FW 190Gs were built for all variants. Due to the war conditions, the manufacturing environment, and the use of special workshops during the later years of the war, accurate number of G models built is next to impossible. Several commonly quoted numbers are well inflated for propaganda purposes (even within the Luftwaffe itself) as well as by this time, use of "composite" aircraft, that is wings from a fuselage damaged plane, and the fuselage from a wing damaged plane were often reassembled and listed as a Fw190G with a new serial number. The Fw190G-1 currently at the National Air and Space Museum is one of these "composite" planes, built off the fuselage of a Fw190A-7.